Council Tax Support Scheme Review

Closed 3 Jan 2022

Opened 24 Nov 2021


We are seeking your views on possible changes to the South Ribble Council Tax Support (CTS) Scheme which, if approved, will come into effect from 1 April 2022.

The change will not affect pensioners as their scheme is set by the government.

What will change?

Under the current scheme, some working aged council tax payers have to pay a minimum of £3.50 per week towards their annual council tax bill.

We are now looking at removing the need for this group of claimants to pay a minimum of £3.50 per week towards their bill.

Why are we proposing the change?

We review the scheme regularly to see if we can improve it and to help people in most need. The changes will make the scheme more generous for claimants on a low income, meaning they will have less council tax to pay.

Which claimants will the change affect?

Non Passported claimants who have a low income or receive other non-passported benefits such as Employment Support Allowance (Contribution Based), Universal Credit (if they have another income, such as earnings) or Jobseekers Allowance (contributions based). 

How much will it cost?

Increasing the support will cost an estimated £242,424 a year more in council tax.

The cost is shared with other services (known as preceptors) such as Lancashire County Council, the Police and Fire services. South Ribble Council's share of the total cost is approximately £26,646.

What happens next?

This consultation closes at midnight on 3 January 2022.

We will listen carefully to what you tell us before changing the scheme however any final decision will be made by Full Council on 23 February 2022.


What happens next

The consultation is now closed.  Your views are important to us and we will take the responses into consideration when making a final decision about changes to the scheme.

The new scheme will start on 1 April 2022.  The Council will review the scheme annually and consult again if it thinks further changes need to be made.


  • South Ribble